Sunday, September 30, 2012

Corn harvest in Minnesota

Hey everyone! I hope you had a good week. I thought I'd send pictures of the corn harvest in Minnesota.

When you first get here in the summer you see the corn fields when they are just beginning to grow. By the time you go back to Oman, the corn is really tall but still green. By the fall, the corn fields turn all brown as they dry up. The farmers usually begin corn harvest at the very end of September and beginning of October but this year, because we had a very early spring and also because we haven't had much rain, the corn harvest began in the beginning of September. Uncle Chad says it's already over half way done, which is very early. Here's some pictures. Some of them I took and the ones from the field came from a farm family that lives by Clara City.

The cornfields are all brown now. 

Here's a close-up of the corn. The leaves are very crunchy.

A combine goes through the field and picks the corn.

The corn comes out of the combine all shelled. Pretty cool or what?


The corn is loaded into the wagon. From the wagon, the corn is
loaded into semi-trucks and brought to the grain elevator in Clara City and
other towns around the area.

Here's a partially picked corn field.
The semi-trucks bring the corn to Clara City (this is right by my house) where
the corn is dumped off and piled. This big mountain of corn will get loaded
on to train cars and taken to corn processing plants around the country.



The leaves on the trees are beginning to turn really pretty colors and the leaves are already starting to fall off. I noticed several families in Clara City have already decorated their houses with Halloween decorations. I'll get some more pictures of autumn in Minnesota for next week. 

I love you all and miss you so much! Send us an update on what you have been up to when you can okay! Have a good week guys. 

Aunt Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment